About a month ago, Twitter made the very smart move of making it so that nobody can actually use their site. It was reverted in a few days, but it’s a bad omen, especially with the porn site rebrand, the approval by the site administration of right-wing actors posting child porn, and potential ID verification features in the pipeline.
So here’s a quick overview of how the “microblogging” world stands, as of August 2023. It only goes downhill from here.
- Everyone’s on there.
- If you use an extension to undo the recent changes, and install an old APK, the UI is good enough.
- Pro-child pornography.
- Filled with neo-nazis.
- It’s definitely not going to get better any time soon.
- About four months away from bankruptcy.
- Great UI, pretty much identical to an older version of Twitter.
- Custom algorithmic feeds are a cool concept. I use one for film stuff.
- Federated. Kinda.
- Surprisingly, open-source from top to bottom and not actively hostile to outside devs.
- The entire userbase is made up of a mixture of retarded millenials and future sex pests.
- Reading any of the popular feeds feels like being forcibly injected with pure 2018.
- Missing essential features like muting words, seeing who you know follows, or muting notifications.
- It has like three people working on it, so none of these are going to be added any time soon.
- Invite only.
- Multiple times a week somebody pops up in the hot feeds with either a penis picture or “saying stupid is hecking ableist!” tweeet.
- Can’t think of any.
- The UI is fucking incomprehensible.
- It’s like if Tumblr was ran by Tumblr users.
- The userbase is also full of the Tumblr people who think they’re too smart to use Blue Sky.
- Actually federated, albeit in one of the worst protocols invented behind IRC, ASN.1, and SOAP.
Every frontend has a UI designed by people with anencephaly. Only marginally better than cohost.
Insert some nonsense about instance blocks here. Nobody knows how it works, only that the subject pisses everyone off.
The userbase is a mixture of:
- People who got chased off of Twitter
- The least interesting accelerationists in the world
- The least interesting FOSS devs in the world
- Tumblr people who think they’re too smart to use Blue Sky
- ActivityPub webshits
Barrier of entry is 10x higher for no real reason.